April 25, 2010



The materials used in the construction of these soil bomb-balls are burlap, soil, egg carton, flower seeds (mexican sunflower, cosmos, snap dragon, zinnia, and others), twine, and small instructional illustration for each.  Last week, I cut 450 cups out of egg carton, making it so that I could successfully fill each of the 450 with seed and soil but unfortunately the project had to discontinue because my supply of burlap ran out!!!  I finished making about 200 and took to the streets... images from that experience will be posted later.  My idea was to give each of these small gifts to people I encounter in my community during the hours of 12-3 but my hands became emptier and emptier!  I had given 198 of the soil bomb-balls away and realized that it had only been an hour. THis project was exciting and it really lit up the streets(Sterling Place, Washington Avenue, Underhill, Classon Avenue), making strangers interact with one another.  I allowed people to take more than one if they insisted.  Something I learned while giving the bombs away, that people are truly skeptic of "free" things.  I felt that I had to clarify that I just wanted people to learn how to plant and that I want nothing to do with your credit card and your email address.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

this is wonderful! :)