April 16, 2010

I don't mean to be cryptic but I can't explain this image. Except that I adopted these here FIFTEEN-BULK Egg cartons off the street!  30 "cups" were cut from the egg cartons , and I used "cups" because I am having a hard time identifying that part of the egg-carton... anyway, I just really like the form they make spooning one another in a chain like this. there are 450 paper-egg-cups in total.

"These cartons have a dimpled form in which each dimple accommodates an individual egg and isolates that egg from eggs in adjacent dimples. This structure helps protect eggs against stresses exerted during transportation and storage by absorbing a lot of shock and limiting the incidents of fracture to the fragile egg shells. An egg carton can be made of various materials, including Styrofoam, clear plastic or may be manufactured from recycled paper and molded pulp by means of a mechanized Papier-mâché process." -wikipedia

 I can't believe how natural it is for me to think a thought and then if i'm even the slightest bit curious about it- without hesitation, I "google" it. Or I search for videos on whichever object I am hankering. Ohhhh internet. How I love this strange desparation to know things about "everything" but then realize I am not leaving my own 4 walls.

Making things does help though. While I go through phases of having zero ability to focus(is this, like, specifically a day time thing?), I can leave it to physical work, cutting, cooking, glueing, building, whatever, hours just SLIP by.  It's pretty spectacular.

I feel I may be inspired from this family I am living with right now.
while, no, not one of us is related, so I don't know why I used family just then.. but three of the 6 apartments in the building are home to me and nine talented artists.  Some would never accept that I call them that, because six are photographers(one of which is a mix of playwright, sculptor, painter, draftsman, actor, puppeteer director as of two days ago, chef, gardener and chemist<3), one sculptor/performance artist, two bi-trilingual collage artist/writers?
We are always in our stations buzzing about whatever chaos is striking at the moment, some of us form gangs and watch videos, cook, or talk together, some other group activities take place as well that don't need mention.
Egypt, New Jersey(Princeton, New Brunswick, and other stuff), Florida(meeeeeeeee- even though technically Brooklyn-Long Island NY is where i spent most time growing up), Puerto Rico, Massachusetts, Long Island and Upstate New York, and Maine are where we crawled from before creating a home together.  Anyway they mean a lot to me, and so does feeling like a mother . making, holding,  and looking at things. you should try it, ima get off this weird site and join my things in that other place now

No comments: